Monday, April 12, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies? Yes, please!



It seems that every blogger/baker has their perfect go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe that they swear by. I haven't been fortunate enough to find the recipe that I can in perfect confidence call "the best" and in an attempt to do so have decided to work my way through as many chocolate chip cookie recipe renditions as possible until I find that "wow" factor.  To me the perfect chocolate chip cookie would be moist, extremely chewy, and of course extra chocolaty. I was inspired while eating chocolate chip cookies baked with a recipe from honeydukes pastries. These cookies were delicious and I was very pleased with how thick and chewy they turned out. In her blog she writes that she came out with 16 cookies. As for me, the recipe only gave me 12 cookies, but they were so big that each cookie was kind of a two in one deal.

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chunks or chips
1 cup chopped nuts *

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat the salt, butter, sugars, and vanilla in a medium bowl until well combined.
  3. Beat in the egg and scrape down the bowl using a rubber spatula and beat for a few more seconds.
  4. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. 
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix on low speed until absorbed. 
  6. Combine the chocolate chunks and nuts* into a small bowl and stir into the dough.
  7. Shape the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and drop them about 3 inches apart onto greased baking sheets (the recipe says ungreased, but I greased them out of habit).
  8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are golden. Let sit for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
 * I chose not to add the nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment