Sunday, April 18, 2010

b-a-n-a-n-a-s!


My blog should be titled "Then My Jeans Don't Fit On Monday" with  a subtitle of "Worth It". My dad went to Costco the other day and brought home some beautiful big ripe bananas. I walked into the kitchen this morning and there they were just sitting there on the kitchen counter begging to be used and of course I happily obliged. Who can turn down a banana?

Banana Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cups white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup of butter, melted
Pinch of cinnamon

Crumb Topping:
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar

For the Muffins:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. In another bowl, beat together bananas, cinnamon, sugar, egg, and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until moistened.
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

Crumb Top:
1. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

I have to say I was a little worried while putting together the crumb topping. Being the cinnamon enthusiast that I am, I put more than the 1/8 tsp. that the recipe called for thinking "what the heck". Well, I don't think it turned out exactly like it was supposed to- but the muffins was still delicious. No harm no foul, right?

4 comments:

  1. your first sentence made me laugh out loud. i find myself in the following scenario more often than i care to admit: eat, eat, eat, groan, groan, eat, groan, say 'WORTH IT." :)
    these muffins look great--properly hearty but still soft and fluffy. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a banana nut- pun intended! These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing. How much brown sugar do you add to the crumb topping?

    ReplyDelete
  4. *1/3 cup - fixed it in the post :)

    ReplyDelete