Monday, August 30, 2010

Peach Crumb


Every Sunday my mom, dad, sister, and I wake up and drive over to the little church in town. It's a great church, but when I say that it's little I mean just that: it is little. After service, the people gather in the back and eat packaged cookies and jumbo wheat thins with their coffee. Even though I'm a big fan of the wheat thin cracker, I couldn't help but feel a little bad about the refreshment selection. So I set my alarm a little early yesterday and starting peeling and slicing juicy peaches to make this magnificent peach crumb. The original recipe was for Peach Crumb Bars but I sort of winged it and layed the dough in a quiche dish. It wasn't so much of a bar as it was a crumbly pie with peach filling. Call it what you will because either way it was incredibly flavorful and delightful. I only had a small piece because I figured that there would be some left over and I could pig out in the privacy of my own house. Boy was I wrong. The plate was returned to me wiped clean, literally. I took this as a compliment and figured that next time I better bake two :)

Peach Crumb Bars
Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker

For the Dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
1 egg, lightly beaten

For the Filling:
5 cups diced peaches (7 peaches, peeled)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
2. For the Dough: In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter, and then the egg. The dough will be crumbly. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan. Place the pan and the remainder of the dough in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
3. For the Filling: Place the diced  peaches in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix gently. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over the peaches and mix gently.
4. Spread the peach mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the peach layer.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

8 comments:

  1. So nice of you to bake something voluntarily.
    At my church, breakfast after service is prepared by volunteers who have submitted their names for the Sunday that they prefer. It's a good time for fellowship :)

    I'll wipe the plate clean for you too, if you gave me one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posting. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are soooo sweet my friend....I can see why there was none left over! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the peach crumb look so yummie, no wonderthe dish came back clean...and so nice of you baking for the church :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is just the perfect peach dessert. i could curl up on the couch with that entire dish and just gnaw away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet gesture! I bet it was positively scrumptious! I wonder who licked the dish clean!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice of you! I'm sure I'd love this too. Sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love peach desserts! This one looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete