I love the weekend. I especially love Sunday mornings. Nothing beats lounging in your bed, reading the paper, drinking coffee, and of course eating a delicious breakfast (preferably while still in the aforementioned bed). This morning I treated myself to this Buttermilk Breakfast Cake. What is that you say? Cake for breakfast ? Yes, of course a cake for breakfast! And the best part is that this moist cake starts from a box, so it's super easy and quick to whip up in the morning.
Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
Southern Living Magazine
For the cake:
1 (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
1 cup buttermilk (low fat works just fine)
1/2 cup butter (I used unsalted)
5 large eggs
3 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp granulated sugar
Buttermilk-Vanilla Glaze (see recipe below)
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 to 2 tbsp buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat first three ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 1/2 minutes or until well blended; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Grease a 12 cup bundt pan; sprinkle with 1 tbsp granulated sugar.
4. Spoon one third of the cake batter into prepared pan; sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter.
5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan for about 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool for 20 minutes. Drizzle Buttermilk-Vanilla Glaze over lightly warm cake.
1. Stir together first 3 ingredients and 1 tbsp buttermilk until smooth, adding additional buttermilk if necessary for desired consistency.
Who doesn't want to start their morning eating a slice of tasty cake drizzled with a sugary glaze?