Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies

First things first: Those chocolate oatmeal bars from the last post were absolutely heavenly. I ate the entire pan myself (with the exception of maybe three or four) by Sunday night, which I thought would be a valid reason to take Monday off of work. As if I needed anymore sweets, I baked these Crisp Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate cookies. In my defense, I gave most of the batch to my Nana and only ate two or three or six. I should point out that this picture is not mine (as you can tell by the good quality), I got it from smitten kitchen where I also found the recipe. My own personal pictures aren't uploading correctly and I thought whats a post without a picture? people want to see what their about to create, right? right.
Right off the bat this recipe interested me for two reasons: 1) I'm a huge fan of white chocolate. As gnarly as it may sound to some, I could eat a bar of white baking chocolate by itself and enjoy every bite.  2) I'm a salt fiend. True to the name, these cookie were very crispy. I'm more of a soft and chewy cookie gal, but these were still very pleasant. The bursts of sea salt on top of the oatmeal goodness was divine and a very welcome flare to my taste buds.
Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 ounces good-quality white chocolate bar, chopped
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt for sprinkling on top

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside
3. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and white chocolate and mix until well incorporated.
4. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart.
5. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.
6. Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie
7. Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.

Nana liked them
 =^,^=

1 comment:

  1. These sound so great! I love the salt addition to the oatmeal...and white chocolate is excellent in oatmeal cookies :)

    ReplyDelete